Friday, May 11, 2007

advice from cgoode

it probably doesn't really count as a blog if i don't write it myself, but i'd still like to post it as inspiration. cgoode recently published her first book and i asked her to share tips from her journey. among other things, she had this to say:

My favorite piece of advice is - just write!
Make an effort to put something on paper at least 5 days a week,
no matter what it is that you are writing.

For me, I actually started journaling and eventually,
it turned from journaling to me, to writing to others.

I think people assume you need 6-8 hours a day to write
and I don't think that's the case.
I think some days you can write for hours,
but some days you only need minutes.

Whatever it takes to get what's
on your heart and in your head
out and onto paper -
that's what you need to do.

Just write!

The story doesn't have to be
fully developed before you start to write it;
I don't think any story ever is.

I think you just commit to the endeavor
and keep going until one day,
you will have a finished product.

so simple, and sounds a lot like my morning pages. guess i need to stick with them after all...give myself permission to be a little messy for awhile. easier said than done.

alas, the journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.

at least i have started to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment