Tuesday, September 22, 2009

For Colored Girls...

Have you heard the news? The one and only Tyler Perry was tapped to helm the film adaptation of For Colored Girls.  I am not a fan of Tyler's body of work. And in truth, I can't comment on his directing skills because I find his writing suffering from an abysmal lack of nuance. 

Really. 

One writer lovingly expressed her concern regarding his portrayal of black people in stereotypical ways. As much as she'd like to support one of her own, she can't bring herself to do it: 
While I am tempted to watch your shows because they are pretty much the only Black ones on television, I don't want to send the message to networks and advertisers that I as a Black consumer find those images to be acceptable. Read more here.
But the news that he will be directing this very serious, complicated work, distresses me. I am not alone.
Perry has a special talent for creating the illusion that otherwise credible black actors don’t have enough talent for mystery dinner theater, so I have to consider anything he controls creatively a lost cause. Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment