Monday, September 21, 2009

On Taking Offense to Others Being Offended

A link to a great post came across my Twitter Feed this morning. In it, the writer discusses the complications of "others" being offended on behalf of those being "misrepresented."

An excerpt:
If I am honest, I want white people to "get it," but I don't want them thinking they "get it" better than me--a black woman who actually lives with race bias.
She ends the piece:
I guess what we all want is that allies will be sensitive and intolerant of race bias, but that they will keep their privilege in check and remember that the voices of the marginalized should be the loudest ones. The victims of an "ism" must take the lead.
Am I right? Or, can I be offended on someone else's behalf?
Nicely done and a true discussion piece. Read the whole post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment